Bavarian doughnuts - Auszogne, Funkenküchle or Kirchweihnudel (with recipe)
They are delicious though whenever you choose to make them, so here is the recipe.
- 1/8 l milk
- 500 g flour
- 40 g yeast
- 80 g sugar
- 70 g butter
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- A little sugar to dust when the doughnuts are cooked.
- Start the yeast off in a little warm milk
- Add the yeast to the sugar and flour and leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the butter, eggs, the remaining milk and the salt and kneed until the dough starts forming bubbles. Leave it to prove for an hour.
- Cut large oval pieces and leave these to prove for a further 30 minutes on a board dusted with flour.
- Shape the “Kiechla“: the dough is pulled by turning it from the centre outwards forming a strong outer edge with a very thin centre.
The "Kiechla" are then deep fried and coated with sugar while they are still hot – delicious!